Self-hosted applications - Terms & Conditions
At PieSync we feel it is important that our end-users are aware of these attention points with regards to proper deployment of self-hosted applications.
Terms & Conditions (T&C)
Users connecting self-hosted applications agree to the following T&C:
- The version of the self-hosted application will be kept up to date with the one of the partner-hosted application. PieSync will do its best to keep backward compatibility with older versions, but cannot be held accountable in case an old version leads to some unexpected API behavior.
- The infrastructure of the self-hosted application has to be able to deliver acceptable API performance (normal response times, limited time-outs, high availability, etc).
In the interest of maintaining stable syncs for all its users, PieSync has the right to stop - or at least reduce capacity for - a sync of a customer in case it is seriously underperforming. We will inform the customer when we do this and look for solutions.
- As PieSync has no experience with - and cannot be fully aware of - the exact infrastructure setup of the self-hosted application, the PieSync support team cannot be held responsible for debugging basic connectivity issues with self-hosted applications.
We recommend an IT administrator of the self hosted application to set up PieSync in this case. The PieSync support team will obviously try to help out where possible (as we do for our other users).
- Users cannot hold PieSync accountable if their data was sent to an unintended recipient due to wrong input when specifying the target domain.
PieSync will assure that some malicious domains are automatically being blocked, but cannot guarantee a full coverage against all malicious domains.
self-hosted application: Under self-hosted applications PieSync considers all applications that are not hosted directly on the domain of the partner application.
For example you want to integrate with the application "My Favorite CRM", which is on the domain myfavoritecrm.com. In that case all applications which are not hosted on myfavoritecrm.com are considered self-hosted applications by PieSync. This can be any of the following:
- An application installed on your own PC (but still connected to the internet)
- An application hosted by yourself on a cloud server (for instance on Amazon Web Services)
- An application hosted by an external cloud hosting provider (for instance on the domain myfavoritecrm-hosting.com)
partner-hosted application: Under partner-hosted applications PieSync considers all applications that are hosted directly on the domain of the partner application. These applications are considered stable by PieSync, and run the latest version of the software.
Why does PieSync impose additional Terms & Conditions (T&C) for self-hosted applications?
A self-hosted application can work in exactly the same way as the application hosted by the partner but in practice there are often some differences:
- Application version (and hence API versions) can differ with the parter-hosted application, which can lead to different sync functionality
- The API performance of the self-hosted application - and hence of the sync - could be below the standard we're used to for the partner-hosted application
- The IT infrastructure of the self-hosted application can prevent us from taking certain actions to improve service
- There is a shift of liability in allowing an end-user to specify the domain that needs to be connected to. When an end-user enters the wrong domain, authentication data or customer data will be sent to potentially malicious recipients.