Customizable Field Mapping
The field mappings allow you to decide which contact data should be synced for each contact. Every connection comes equipped with a predefined list of mapped contact fields, which we call the "Default Field Mapping". This a list of the default contact fields that PieSync was already able to map.
As of the Pro Plan, you are able to customize the default field mappings and you are also able to add your own field mappings. This is what we will discuss in this article. Any user-created mapping is also often referred to as the "Custom (Field) Mapping".
Below you see an example of the field mapping between Pipedrive and ActiveCampaign. Of course, this is list of default mapped fields is dependant on the apps you have connected and which (custom) fields you have available on both sides.
Changing the Default Field Mapping
As the default field mapping is a predefined list of mappings, some of the field mappings might not suit your use case. In that case, you are able to change that field mapping by:
- Disabling the mapping by setting the toggle to 'off'
- Adding a field mapping and choose the two fields you want to connect.
In the example below we wanted to remap the default mapping for Phone <> Work Phone to Phone <> Home Phone and Mailing Address <> Work Address to Mailing Address <> Home Address:
Adding Custom Mappings
To add your own field mapping, simply click 'Add field mapping' below the Default Field Mapping.
By default the custom mappings will sync in the direction you have set up in the configuration of your connection, so this could be either two-way or one-way. However, you are often able to change the sync direction of your custom field mappings.
There are some exceptions where a custom field mapping can only sync one-way:
- When a field is read-only: Certain contact fields are not allowed to be modified through a third-party integration such as PieSync
- When a field only allows some specific values: eg. a custom date field.
- When two mapped fields are of a different type: eg. a dropdown field
Below is an example of a field that can't be modified through a third-party and therefore only syncs one-way (→). More in-depth information can be found here.
Why are my (custom) fields unavailable/greyed out?
- Each field can only be mapped once. All fields might are already mapped.
- Fields in a custom mapping must be of a similar type. For example, you can’t sync a numeric field to a date field. When selecting fields in a custom mapping, the list on the other side will only show the fields that can be mapped, unavailable mappings are either not visible or greyed out.
- Some custom fields are technically not mappable, such as lists or fields with multiple values (see example below). With multiple values, we mean fields such as emails, phone numbers and addresses where each value has a label to differentiate between ‘home’, ‘work’ and ‘other’ for example. In most cases, these fields are already included in the default field mapping.